As a registered patent attorney, Matt specializes in the procurement of intellectual property, with an emphasis on both patent and trademark procurement. Matt serves as Chair of the State Bar of Michigan’s Intellectual Property Law Section for 2021-22. In addition to extensive experience in the United States, Matt directs the filing and prosecution of patent and trademark applications in dozens of countries throughout the world, and assists overseas clients with securing intellectual property rights in the U.S.
Matt also counsels clients on the evaluation and enforcement of intellectual property rights, including drafting licenses and other business agreements, I.P. portfolio management, I.P. procurement and enforcement strategies, patentability opinions, trademark availability opinions, freedom-to-practice and validity opinions, and patent and trademark searches in the U.S. and throughout the world.
Matt has been consistently named a Rising Star by Michigan Super Lawyers since 2012, and has published several articles in The Grand Rapids Lawyer magazine. Matt was previously employed as a Project Engineer at Goodrich Corporation in Phoenix, Arizona, where he focused on automotive and aerospace technologies, with special emphasis on safety systems. During his time at the University of Michigan, Matt worked for both Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Corp., with emphasis on predictive modeling and safety systems.
Arizona State University - Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law
- Tempe, Arizona
- J.D., 2006
- Certificate of Law, Science, and Technology - Intellectual Property Law
- Senior editor – Jurimetrics Journal of Law, Science and Technology
University of Michigan
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Master of Science, Mechanical Engineering, 2000
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, 1999
- Chairperson ex officio, Intellectual Property Law Section, State Bar of Michigan
- Chairperson ex officio, Intellectual Property Section, Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Michigan
- Member, Grand Rapids Bar Association (GRBA)
- Secretary, Mohawk Flying Club